My Favorite Things
There are so many products out there geared towards new parents that it can be overwhelming when you start to make your registry. I wanted to share a few of my favorite products from when I had a newborn and some things that have come along since that I really could have used.
1. Bamboo Blanket. These are so soft and cuddly, but also very breathable. I would make sure I always had one with me wherever I went. They also are big enough that I could use it as a breastfeeding cover and not sweat. For my youngest I ordered them off of Amazon and chose MakBB Ultra Soft Baby Swaddle Blanket, Softest Bamboo Rayon, 2 count 47" x 47" (Blue - Boy). I picked this because it was not too expensive
2. Nipple Shield. They are not great for all people, but if you have flat or inverted nipples, they make all the difference. I never needed them more than four weeks, but it helped me to establish breastfeeding with all four of my children. They can be purchased online or at any Target or Walmart.
3. Kangaroo Shirt that enables lots of skin to skin time with baby in the hospital and at home.
This image is from https://www.seraphine.com/en-us/slate-blue-cotton-skin-to-skin-top-1/, There are many different brands to choose from. I got one of these with my youngest because I wanted to have a lot of skin to skin time, but my oldest was 9 and I wanted to still have some modesty. It was perfect! I was able to be social and involved with my other children while still bonding and having oxytocin running through my system with my infant. He loved it and I wore it for probably 6 weeks, starting with day 1 in the hospital. An added bonus is that when I wore it, friends and family wouldn't ask to hold him and he did not get passed around as much.
4. A small "Lovey" blanket. These are usually 12 in x 12 in, many have a small stuffed animal in the center. In my third trimester I would buy two of them that are identical and sleep with them so that they would get my smell on them, my husband would also do that. Our babies were all born early and needed some NICU time, so I would ask the nurses to place the blanket under them in the bassinet so they would still smell me and our bonding never was interrupted.
5. Frida Postpartum Kit. https://frida.com/products/hospital-bag-essentials-complete-kit I wish this was around when I was still having babies. The item I like most in the box is the witch hazel cooling pads. If you don't want to but the kit, I recommend making witch hazel frozen pads and have them ready for you when you come home from the hospital. It is a life saver if you have stitches.
6. Halo Sleep Bassinet. I wish that I had this product when my kids were sleeping in my room. It is easy to use, keeps the baby close and is great for breastfeeding. The brand is expensive and several other companies have started to make similar products. https://www.halosleep.com/new-halo-bassinest-swivel-sleeper-essentia-series/
7. Newborn nightgowns that don't zipper, just a big dress. This made nighttime diaper changes so much easier and the baby did not wake up as much because there was less maneuvering. You can buy them anywhere you get baby clothes.
8. Ollie Sleep Swaddle, my youngest had a strong startle reflex and he was able to get out of every blanket I used. One day I was talking to a friend and she told me about the Ollie and it changed our sleep behavior instantly. I can not praise this product enough. https://theollieworld.com/collections/single-swaddles
I hope you enjoyed this short list of my favorites. If you have anything that you love, please let me know. I am always sharing knew products with clients.