Updated: Aug 23, 2020
There are a lot of strong opinions when it comes to the Placenta. One thing all people can agree on is that it is an amazing organ that helped to create life. If you look at the physiology behind it, you can't help but be amazed at all it has done. Some of those facts are:
* About 20% of your blood supply travels through the placenta every minute
* The Placenta produces pregnancy hormones responsible for ramping up blood cell production and metabolism to support your baby at the start of the pregnancy.
* It produces the hormones that signal the start of milk production towards the end of pregnancy.
* The placenta grows as your baby grows. By the time your baby is born it will be 8-9 inches long, 1 inch thick in the middle and weight close to 3 pounds.
*The combine rate of all the capillaries in your placenta is over 32 miles long
* The human body has several vestigial body parts, or parts that used to have a purpose but not longer do, like the appendix or wisdom teeth. The placenta is the only organ that disposes of itself when it is no longer needed.
* Creates a barrier so that the Birthing Parent and Babies blood never interact.
* It contains genetic code from several family members related to the birthing parents.
Pros to Encapsulation:
* Prevents and lessens the risk of postpartum depression or "baby Blues"
* Replenishes your iron from blood loss during birth and prevents postpartum anemia
* Lends you a consistent flow of oxytocin long after your birth euphoria ends
* Provides the HPL hormone to help establish a early and healthy milk supply
* Stabilizes your ever ever changing hormones post birth
* Replenishes your B vitamins and energy that were used during the labor and birthing process
* Protects from infection and bleeding due to retained placenta tissue or membranes
* Offers natural pain relief from the labor and birth of the baby.
Cons to Encapsulation:
* There has not been wide spread research studies showing the efficacy of consuming the placenta. It has been done for thousands of years and the benefits listed above are what most mothers report having results to, but mainstream scientific studies have not been conducted.
* Some people are grossed out by it
*If you have a preexisting hormonal imbalance, the hormones in the placenta can cause the depression to be amplified. This is not typical and it is recommended that you stop and get your hormone levels checked by your medical provider.
* Can not be used to reverse present or predisposed issues
* It is considered a nutritional supplement and is not regulated by the FDA
The Placenta is an amazing organ that has provided for your baby for 40 weeks and it can continue to help you for months to come. Encapsulation is not for everyone, but hopefully this post helped you to understand it a little better.